Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Stranger Than Fiction

When it comes to an author and a narrator, they can either be the same person, or two completely different people. The author can be the narrator as well, or they can write the story yet someone else tells it. For example, in the movie Stranger Than Fiction, Karen Eiffel, the author of Harold Crick's story, also narrated the whole thing in the movie. In this case, she served as both the author and the narrator. However, since it was Harold Crick's real life, it could be argued that he was the author of his own story since he created his daily routines and decisions, yet Eiffel just narrated what he did. The fact that there could be different interpretations as to who could be telling a story, serves as a really good example of what it means to be in control of telling a story. The author can have one goal as to what they want the audience to understand, yet that audience could have a totally different opinion. The ability to create a story and tell it leaves so many open ends for imagination, and that is a very powerful key that is important to note.

Since I had to write a research paper, it was important that I left out different opinions and biases because it would affect the accuracy and reliability of my research. Biased information is not a good source of research because it can leave out an opposing opinion or certain important facts about a particular topic. That is why I don't think I gave any information at the expense of certain people or groups because there weren't any opinions used and it was just a research paper based on fact and evidence. There was no need to persuade or put personal opinions of anyone. However, although it is a paper based on fact and evidence, I think my paper will draw attention to whoever reads it. Women's equality/role in society is such a hot topic that I think is interesting to everyone, and that most people have a lot of knowledge about, whether it is a lot or a little. I think something that was important was to leave out bias and non-factual evidence, yet make the paper clear, concise, and interesting for readers so it won't be a basic boring paper.

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your distinction of what the author intends to do vs. the audience's perception!

    ReplyDelete