Thursday, September 27, 2012

Freedom To Speech?

Although I haven't watched this video, I do believe that the makers of the film did abuse their First Amendment rights. Sure, it's all fun and games to make jokes, and although I'm not a very religious person myself, I just believe that this is a subject that no one should mess around with. The makers of this video probably thought they were doing no harm, and that it was just a funny video that would bring upon some laughter. However, no matter what people may think is okay when mocking or making jokes about a religion,  not everyone will enjoy or get the "joke". For example, although it wasn't a movie making fun of a religion, "The Da Vinci Code" was seen as offensive because it was seen as an insult to the aspects of traditional Christianity and the persona of Jesus. Now, I watched the film myself, and I didn't have the slightest clue it was offensive in any way. This just goes to show that people have so many different views and that there is a fine line between what is offensive and what is not.

Now, how do we decide where to draw that line? I'm not so sure. However, I do believe that there is a time when it is obvious to draw the line, like when deciding to mock a religion that has been made fun of before. I may not know my bible like the back of my hand, but I have common sense to know that making the slightest joke about any religion can most definitely offend many people. Yes, we all have the right to freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean we have the right to be disrespectful.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, Da Vinci code did not strike me as offensive either. And "people have different views of where the fine line is" SOO TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, people need to watch what they do cos they're showing it to the whole world

    ReplyDelete